Thursday, March 20, 2008

Under my Umbrella (Ella ella...)

Spring in DC = torrential downpours.

I love torrential downpours. I don't love umbrellas.

Let's face it - in a real downpour, with wind and heavy rain, they don't really keep you that dry. And when you live in a heavy populated area such as DC, you have millions of people walking around with umbrellas; it's virtually impossible to get around with out getting an eye poked out. I have noticed that because of my height, I carry an umbrella right at most people's eye level. For the sake of my fellow citizens, I usually opt to not carry an umbrella. It's selfless, I know.

Actually, besides the danger factor, I don't really like carrying umbrellas around. They are bulky and they never go back nicely into the nylon case they came with, no matter how tightly you try to wrap it up.

Sometimes they have really cute patterns though, and I do enjoy seeing the sea of colors and patterns mixed with the dramatic black on a rainy day. And sometimes in the right setting, without thousands of people around, they can be very quaint. Or romantic. Sharing an umbrella means standing extra close with the one you love.

So, I guess you could say I don't hate umbrellas that much after all. I guess sometimes I like them.

End of rainy day thoughts.

2 comments:

Amanda Petersen said...

As usual, I love your posts.
Don't you think it'd be an amazing photo to shoot from straight above a downtown street on a rainy day? just, as you said, for the sake of the umbrellas stacked across the sidewalk? Tons of people, tons of umbrellas, and tons of designs+patterns+solids? It would be awesome!!

Rebecca Banner said...

Rainy days are my favorite next to snowy ones. You can keep that sun. I like it when it is cold outside and it's rainy and damp and raw with cold. I used to sit on my parent's back porch on the porch swing with a big ol blanket and just enjoy that weather. I have no where to sit now so i miss that. Next house. :)