Friday, March 7, 2008

Bring on the Rain

My love affair with the weather is over. Yes, sorry to disappoint, but my poetry inspired excitement was nothing more than a few sunny days and warm weather. The bright days allowed me some much needed time in the sun to rejuvinate my spirits.

It almost is like being in love!

But today, there is no sun - only clouds and a whole lot of rain. I enjoy a good rainstorm and though it doesn't usually cause me to skip through the streets, it is a different sort of enjoyment. I love a good thunderstorm, especially if it's accompanied by a power outage. Nothing brings family togetherness like no electricity and I have fond memories of nights with booming thunder and no power.

It reminds me of a little life lesson that I try to remember. Even amid storms, we've been given great blessings to help us through. Sometimes those blessings are as simple as a candlelit scrabble game with the people that mean the most to you. When I take moments to reflect on simple blessings that remain the strong foundations in my life, I can even enjoy the storms.

This makes me think of a song. I don't have a recording of it, and I can only remember bits and pieces of it in my head. I actually don't even know the person who wrote it - it was the friend of a friend who was only referred to as "e money." He sang it on our beloved couch one summer night at the Riviera and then bam - he was gone, before I even got his real name. But his song stuck with me.

"Looks like we're in for stormy weather. But I don't mind the rain. Life is so much better, when you don't look at all the clouds."

Thank you "e money" ... wherever you are!

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Rain, I'll take rain, it's this snow I can't handle.

Rebecca Banner said...

I see you are getting rain. We WERE getting 2 feet of snow now it's only going to be 9 inches. Fussbutton!!!! I want 2 feet darn it! We have to drive in the stuff tomorrow as Macy starts spring hockey tomorrow. After that i'm going to get my chair and park it on my front porch with my coat, gloves and scarf and enjoy it. I bet this is the last good snow storm we get. :( I just need to move to upper Canada and be done with it lol. Get out your umbrella girlfriend!