Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'll Make You Banana Pancakes


I really love to cook. I don't know how long it took me to get to this point, but I could spend all day in the kitchen these days. I love preparing healthful foods that taste scrumptious.


The other day I made whole wheat banana pancakes with my overripe bananas. I made a large batch so I could throw them in the freezer for convenience sake (thanks to my sister for that idea). I felt domestic in every sense of the word. The best thing about these pancakes is that they have no sugar or oil and lots of good things including whole wheat, oats and of course bananas. They turned out very tasty. I have in the past been buying the Kashi brand of frozen waffles but at $4 for a box of 6, this is turning out to be much more economical.

I topped them with some low-fat yogurt for additional health benefits but they would also be good with fruit. DO NOT ruin by saturating with lots of syrup. If you must use syrup, please use in small doses. 

Here's the recipe. I take no credit. I found it online at recipezaar.com


1 1/4 C. Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 C. Oatmeal (uncooked)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 1/2 C. Skim Milk (or dairy free milk)
2 Egg Whites (or 1 large egg)
2 mashed bananas (ripe)
Cinnamon to taste

1. Mix all the ingredients with mixer or with a wire wisk.
2. Cook on a non-stick pan, or use a small amount of cooking spray for each pancake.

Easy as pie. Or pancakes. I doubled the recipe b/c I had a lot of bananas and it made about 2 dozen. 

5 comments:

Amanda Petersen said...

YUM!!!! totally doing that very soon. oh, and SUCH a good song that is now stuck in my head:)

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy.

You should be a chef! Or a food photographer.

Cindy said...

thanks for the recipe.
yogurt on pancakes, great idea!

Sarah Jayne said...

Those sound delicious! I'm sorry, though, I know I would absolutely cave and drench my pancakes in homemade maple syrup. I can't have pancakes any other way. I'd rather not eat them at all because I would still feel deprived. How much have you lost on WW? I'm up to 8 lbs or so...I'm very happy about this. I only hope it continues because I have about 3 more sets of 8 to lose...LOL!

The World of Abbie said...

MMM!! Looks delicious.

And the bits healthy!