Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Ball? Oh, That Would Be Fun!

What do you do when you have the chance to go to the Lincoln Inaugural Ball in celebration of Barack Obama's inauguration?


You buy a new dress, and you go!

That's what happened this weekend. I became aware of some small volunteer opportunities for an inaugural ball that would get us into the ball for free. My contribution of service - driving Anita Baker's musicians to their sound check. Easy Peasy! My reward - a spectacular night at the Smithsonian American Museum of Art/National Portrait Gallery at an inaugural ball with some wonderful friends. 

The food: Mashed sweet potatoes, succotash, turkey, ham, mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes, chocolate raspberry tarts, carrot cake - all with a gourmet flair that was divine. The music: Victorian, Jazz and some soul. The atmosphere: inaugural. It seriously was like a  scene from a movie and I was so glad I got to experience the ball as part of this historic weekend.



Here's a video trying to capture the ambiance.

10 comments:

Wendy said...

We need to do that kind of thing more often, I think.

Anonymous said...

What a blast! That'll be a night to remember.

And I agree with Wendy.

Amanda Petersen said...

THAT IS SO COOL!! you're a lucky duck!!! what an experience...

Nikki said...

Oh I love your dress, you look fantastic! Looks like it was an amazing night!

Terra said...

what fun, I'm so jealous! That was a wonderful opportunity you had. (I'm Nikki's friend if you don't remember who I am)

The Cartwright Family! said...

that looked simply fabulous! you look great!

Jean Allen said...

LOVE your dress! I am totally envious!

The World of Abbie said...

April- I love your dress! The color is amazing!!!

klu said...

April, you look spectacular! Your adventures are soooo fun to read.
Aunt Kathy

Bethany said...

ROCKIN DRESS ... where did you get it?