Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Running Just As Fast As We Can



Saturday was the annual Race for the Cure on the National Mall. I ran it last year and had so much fun that I couldn't wait to run it again this year.

That was until my alarm clock went off at 6:30 am on Saturday morning. I laid in bed almost convincing myself to Sleep in for the Cure. But knowing that my friends would be waiting for me at the metro, I got my bum in gear and headed downtown even earlier than I do on a normal work day.

The metro was buzzing and everyone was wearing their new race t-shirts (except Micah. I suppose it was because the pink and purple breast cancer symbols didn't match his red hat). Once there, I was immediately glad that I didn't sleep in. Races are so fun and energizing.

The weather was ridiculously hot and the air was barely breathable it was so thick. Once downtown, we could barely see the base of the Washington monument. The rest was covered in thick, humid air. Lucky for us, Condoleeza Rice was there with her personal trainer, leading us in stretches that made us forget we were sweating profusely.

It was a great race. My running buddies - Stephanie, Hilary and Micah - kept me energized to the very end. Yoplait provided us with fizzy gogurt which proved to be a better cold pack than as an edible substance. There were no breast cancer hats for which we were all very sad. But we didn't run into the creepy Ronald McDonald for which we were all very grateful.

I went straight home and rewarded myself with a little Nap for the Cure. No more breast cancer!

 
I missed the pretend phone memo

Early Metro Smiles

Ready to Run

Hot and sweaty but feeling good after the race


"B" for breast cancer

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Good for you guys! I wish that I had done it again this year. Races are, for me, always the most fun way to run.

I went running with some friends around the monuments earlier that day, and I can attest to the fact that it was HOT, HUMID, and FOGGY.

Sarah Jayne said...

Hey, I have that shirt!! I love the last picture...classic!

Anonymous said...

B is for breast.

Rebecca Banner said...

Way to go April!

I love how companies like M & M's have breast cancer chocolates covered in pink and red including red 40 which actually causes breast cancer. Kinda strange to me. You did a good thing kid! Congrats on the getting out of bed part. That would be the worst for me too. Why can't they have these things at 10pm? I'd be a perfect candidate for that time. :)

Emilie Gardner said...

Doesn't it feel so good to run races?? :) Way to go!!