Saturday, July 5, 2008

There Ain't No Doubt, I Love this Land

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. Really really it is!

I can't think of a better place to spend it than here in our nation's capitol, and this is the 3rd year in a row that I've had that privilege. It is grand.

I started my All American week off on Monday by attending an Oriole's game. It's been my goal to get to Camden Yards since I've been in the DC area and I finally made it! It helps that I now have friends in Baltimore. The Stadium actually reminds me a lot of "The Jake" and yes I know that it is now called Progressive Field, but really? Who is going to call it that? Jacobs Field is a much better name and that's how it will remain to me. Unfortunately, the Oriole's lost, to the Royals no less. They were one strike away from winning the whole thing, but in that pitch the Royals hit a home run and tied up the game. Two extra innings later, their momentum was gone and the Royals walked away with the win. I remember in one of my marketing classes talking about sporting events. We were told that the goal of the stadium is to make sure that the fans have fun, so even if the home team loses, they walk away with a good memory. Well, it would have been a much better memory if I would have got on the "Kiss Cam" but for the most part, Camden Yards succeeded and I had a great time.

Tuesday I had the chance to see the show 'Mamma Mia.' Some could argue that a show written by a British playwright featuring music from a Swedish pop group is not necessarily All American, but we did see it at the National Theater so I'm counting it. I met up with friends where we grabbed a bite from the Corner Bakery. I had the Chicken Poblano on sourdough - chicken, jicama, avacado, touch of lime - mmm, I'm still thinking about its tastiness. The show was incredibly fun. Sophie, the main character had a beautiful voice, and the music kept me dancing in my seat. It definitely made me excited to see the movie which will be coming to theaters near you very shortly.

Before the show

After 2 late nights during the work week, I decided Wednesday was a good day to follow in another All American tradition: being completely lazy. I got home from work, slipped into something more comfortable and turned on a movie Hitch. I have a serious crush on Kevin James

Thursday was a beautiful night. The weather cooperated perfectly so that we could attend the dress rehearsal for "A Capitol Fourth." They have a great show every year on the Capitol and I've learned it's MUCH less crowded to attend the dress rehearsal on the 3rd. It definitely put me in the patriotic spirit with cannons, rousing music by the National Symphony Orchestra and appearances from members of the U.S. Olympic teams. Huey Lewis and the News, Taylor Hicks and Jerry Lee Lewis were a few of the other main performers. Seeing Jerry Lee Lewis perform 'Great Balls of Fire' was absolutely legendary. And pizza from UNO at Union Station topped the night off perfectly. There is one thing I really wish would happen at 4th of July events, which is this: for the emcee to ask everyone to join in singing America, the Beautiful or better yet God Bless the USA! The symphony could accompany and the singing would fill the whole national mall. It would be incredible. I wonder why logistically we don't do that?


With friends at the Capitol


Imagine if all these people were singing...

The actual 4th was a long and wonderful day. It started with the annual breakfast at our bishop's home, complete with pancakes, watermelon and 60 pounds of bacon (no joke!). There is always a lot going on - tennis, swimming, a few softball games and soccer. This year there was even some boccie ball. I got to spend time with some great friends. I went home to slip into something a bit more patriotic before heading downtown for the fireworks. Not long into our walk from the metro to the Jefferson memorial, it started to pour. Thankfully, P had an extra poncho which kept me relatively dry. We met up with some friends at the Jefferson and morale was still high despite the weather. The rain stopped in time for the fireworks show, which was awesome. Fireworks significantly enhance an already amazing holiday. It was really fun. There is another thing that I hope for at the end of all firework shows and that is this: for fireworks to spell out God Bless America! or Happy 4th of July! in the sky at the very end of the show. It's never happened yet, but someday maybe it will. Probably the same year we all sing together at Independence day events.

Independance day beauties!

P was saluting b/c we look like the American flag - minus the stars!

It was a little wet!

I have tall friends, some who suggest that the poncho made me look like a smurf (accuser is not pictured).

We walked from the Jefferson to a friends house in Chinatown...it was a trek and really I lost track of how much time we were walking, but I'm sure the blisters on my feet remember. There was a rooftop party of which we caught the tail end. We took the metro home and as we were all starving made a late night Wendy's run, finishing off my All American week with an All-American Classic single with cheese.

Happy Fourth of July!

1 comments:

Rebecca Banner said...

I wanna see Mama Mia too! I had no clue the Jake wasn't called that any more. Progressive what? I never followed baseball, too slow and boring for me; however, these past few months i've grown to kinda like it again. I started scrapbooking for a former classmate of mine who pitched for the LA Dodgers so hearing all the tommy lasorda, mike piazza, mike sciosia, orel hershiser etc stories has me totally enchanted now. Sigh................ Anyway he's paying me to scrap his baseball days and i have to say i'm having a GREAT time! And there's no puck involved!