Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It's been a beautiful day today and thanks to Pope Benedict XVI, I got to spend a portion of it outside in the sun. The Pope was in Washington, DC today and in a unique and possibly once in a lifetime moment, I got to see him ride down Pennsylvania Avenue in his pope mobile.

He started the day at a welcoming ceremony at the White House, where he addressed around 13,500 people. Unfortunately I was not one of them, but thanks to many up- to-date news sources I have heard bits of what he said. Most touching to me was his remark that he hoped his presence would bring renewal and hope for the United States.

Among the masses on Pennslyvania Avenue this afternoon, I think I saw a bit of that hope. There was excitement, full congregations celebrating in dance and song, believers waiting for the chance to see this great man. I too found myself anxious for the opportunity to catch a glimpse and was glad for the brief moment as I saw him ride along. I was impressed with the thousands and thousands of people, all there for the same brief experience, to pay tribute and respect to the pope.

The picture below was taken by a co-worker. She had a much better view up above. I was down on the street level and in a rare moment - did NOT have my camera. I'm glad she got such a clear photo.

4 comments:

Rebecca Banner said...

That is SOOOO awesome! What a wonderful opportunity. I remember sitting on my bed a couple of years ago waiting to hear who the new pope would be and watching for the white smoke. What great hope he brings to the world.

Melanie said...

I'm glad that you got the opportunity to see the Pope. I was so sad that I'm no longer in DC to have those kinds of experiences.

I do have to say though, I think the popemobile is one of the funniest things I've ever heard of.

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

Hi April! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Blogs are such a fun way to keep updated on each other! I look forward to reading more about what you're up to these days!

Anonymous said...

April, I think I might be in that picture! (or at least I was right nearby.) Blog post to come.