Friday, May 2, 2008

Summertime, and the Livin is Easy

Reason I love the summertime # 27: Cook outs

My last post got me thinking about all the other reasons that I love the summertime. Many of my favorite summertime memories, spanning from when I was a child up through college and beyond, involve a good cook out, or as I've learned can also be referred to as a Barbeque.

But we (the Flory clan) always called it a Cook Out, which I feel is a very fitting name. After all, the main event consists of cooking out. So why not call it a Cook Out?

It wasn't until I moved away from home that I learned differently. I said Cook Out and people gave me blank stares. You know, where you grill hamburgers and hot dogs and your grandma brings the macaroni salad? Oh, you mean a BBQ? No, I mean a Cook Out.

Well, as it turns out, they're exactly the same thing. Of course I'm partial to Cook Out as it's what I grew up using, but BBQ is also a fitting name and so I also may at times use it when trying to describe the goodness that is grilled meat and corn on the cob on a hot summer night.

But never, no never will you catch me calling an Elephant Ear a Scone. People may try to convince you otherwise, but they are definitely NOT the same thing.

Boy, I love semantics.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Mmmm, I don't care what you call it, grilling makes almost anything taste better, from beef to pineapple. I am so ready to start summer with a cook out!

Nikki said...

I know what you mean. you know we say a lot of funny things according to some people. You know like "sweeper" "pop", "Feeshers" . Love the post and I hope that I get a grill for mother's day so I can have me a nice cook out.

Anonymous said...

I think that the 24th of July (Pioneer Day) is my favorite holiday of the year because of cook out memories with family and friends. I LOVE it, and ever since I've moved away from Utah, I alway get major homesick on July 24.

Rebecca Banner said...

Us Pittsburghers call it a 'cook out' as well. Good luck nikki getting that grill! We're getting pizza as i have a 30 min lunch break in my 11 hour work day i get to spend with my kids! No time to cook and no time to go out. Figures. Pizza it is. Sigh.

Bethany said...

Hey ... i just saw some signs for "elephant ears" and just told that story to a friend at school ... so i guess they call them elephant ears here in the Pacific NW too! hahaha - good times.

And I like the term Cook Out instead of BBQ even though I grew up calling it the later. Cook Out seems soo homey.