Saturday, May 17, 2008

Excuse me, Mr. Officer

The first time I ever heard about DuPont Circle was in the movie The American President. I'm tempted to digress to tell you about why this is one of my favorite chick flicks, but I'll save you the spoilers so you can watch it yourself, if you have not already seen it.


However, there's a running joke in the movie about the traffic in DuPont Circle. "Just stay away from DuPont Circle. I hear it's murder this time of day." When I first moved to DC, that quote went through my head whenever I was near DuPont, and I quickly learned the movie was not far off from the truth. DuPont Circle is a highly congested area, especially during rush hour.

But, it's also one of the most charming and energetic parts of town. Last night, my roommates and I decided to go to dinner at Lauriol Plaza in DuPont and for some reason, I decided to drive rather than walk the 10 blocks that it is from my office. Big Mistake! I spent 30 minutes driving around looking for parking. Once I finally found a spot, I became incredibly flustered. A man in a big white truck pulled up beside me, trying to convince me I was about to take his spot. Are you kidding? This is my spot. I found it. I'm taking it. That's what I told him and the smile in his eye made me realize he was actually just teasing me, but I wasn't in the mood for jokes.

We had a lovely dinner and we stuffed ourselves full of Lauriol goodness. But, as we walked to my car, I became increasingly nervous because I could not remember where I parked my car. I know that I walked down Riggs so we started there, but an hour and a half later we were still walking and my car was nowhere to be found. My patient roommates were so helpful and encouraging, not complaining at all, even reminding me that at least we got to walk around and see all the beautiful houses (and walk off our dinner too)!

We decided we needed to make a decision on what to do. We could metro home and drive back down to cover more ground faster in a car, but that would take a lot of time. We could hail a taxi and hope we found the car before the fare became too outrageous. Or better yet, we could ask the cop that was driving by. I quickly flagged him down. At first I wasn't sure he was going to help, but after explaining my desperate plight, he told me he had to respond to a call 2 blocks away, but if we waited he would come back and help us.

We laughed on the corner about the whole situation until he returned. I explained more of the details to him and then we all popped in the car, me in the front and my three roommates in the back. My favorite part was when he reported in on his radio: "On the corner of New Hampshire and R. Flagged down by a citizen. Helping to locate vehicle."

That's me - citizen in need.

Thank you Officer Martinez.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

I agree parking in DC is rough. Every time you think you've found a spot there's some sign telling you why you can't park there, and then there's tons of traffic behind and all around you, so you can't really slow down or pause to decide if what looks like an empty space is really a legitimate place to park.

What a nice officer; good to know that our tax dollars are benefiting us!

Unknown said...

April, you're amazing! I enjoyed reading the blog! Sounds like you're doing well. I miss you, hopefully I will get to see you soon!

Heather Sanders said...

All I have to say is that I avoid Dupont at all costs (in a car that is). If I happen to stumble upon it while in my car, I drive interminably around and around... until I get off on the wrong street, of course. I dread it. But, true - it is a great place on foot!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is TOO RICH!! I can just see it. Cracks me up.

Rebecca Banner said...

I take it he found your car? How far away were you from where you were looking?
Thank you april's room mates for helping her thrut this! :)

Travis said...

I'm glad you found your car, April. But disappointed that you went to Lauriol Plaza without me. So very, very disappointed.

Audrey Michal said...

What a wonderful story! I enjoy your blog.

Sara Richins said...

Sounds like you're having wonderful, memorable adventures in D.C.!

We were able to hear part of song lyrics you wrote for the last day of seminary during sacrament meeting today. I remember you once mentioning you write new lyrics to songs, and it was great to hear one of them. You're very talented! Hope all is well with you!