Monday, January 14, 2008

You Are Beautiful, No Matter What They Say

Some said I looked like Barney. Others said I looked like Grimace (the purple McDonald's character). A few said it was Dr. Suess - ish? Whatever it was, the result was UGLY.

Which was just what I was going for considering it was an UGLY sweater party. It seems ugly sweater themed parties are the new craze, but this was my first one and I was going to take full advantage of the fact that I was allowed to wear the most heinous thing I could find.

My roommates took to making their sweaters (think sock sweater vest, newspaper made tuxedo top, upholstered bows), and they were quite fabulous; however, my creativity only took me as far as the thrift store where I picked up a very large knitted bright green and purple sweater (see pictures below to get the full effect). The party was a huge success. I spent the day with Victoria cooking, cooking, decorating and cooking, although I can't take any credit for the amazing food. Her menu was well planned - peppered alfredo and broccoli pasta, sweet potato souffle, sweet meatballs and crabballs, chocolate zuchinni cupcakes - and it all tasted amazing.

The guests were dressed in all sorts of UGLY, well most of them anyway. It was incredibly funny to see the many things that designers once thought were a good idea to make and sell. To each his own in the world of fashion I suppose. There were a few sweaters that stood out among the rest, and I'm proud to say mine won the ugliest sweater in the female category.

Some say I should burn it now that the party is over, but I think I'll keep it. A prize winning sweater like this could come in handy.

                       
Victoria - more sexy than ugly in her Santa Baby get up

 
Ginna in ugly Christmas vest
 
The winners circle

 Joseph, Micah and full body of the UGLY that is my sweater       

5 comments:

Tara said...

That's funny, but where is a picture of this prize winning sweater...did I miss something?

The Cartwright Family! said...

wheres the picture??

Nikki said...

I love the guy with the duck sweater that is too funny
we had an ugly sweater party once. There was a store in Provo that advertised 1 dollar sweaters. They were all as ugly as can be. It was great. I think it was before Dave and I's first date

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed... I was "that guy" who didn't wear an ugly sweater. Congrats on the big win though!! Watch out next year because I'm making a sweater out of lint from the laundry machines in my apartment building.

Rebecca Banner said...

That Micah is a keeper April. ;)