Tuesday, January 22, 2008

She Works Hard for Her Money

Sundays are so much better when you don't have to go to work on Mondays. And when Tuesdays are the first day of the week, they aren't as blah as Mondays.

If I were President, the first thing I would do is create automatic 3 day weekends FOR EVERYONE!

Side note: this sounds like I'm running for Student Body President, promising things that are nowhere near my jurisdiction and upon my winning I could never fufill.

But, I digress.

I think that America is overworked. I think it's ridiculous the amount of work people have to put into their jobs to be considered successful. I think it's silly that to get ahead in a career, people have to sacrifice the majority of their time.

I believe in the principle of hard work. Laziness breeds all sorts of evil things and working develops character, creates a sense of self worth and keeps the mind active. Elder Maxwell, in a talk entitled "Put Your Shoulder the the Wheel" said, "Work is always a spiritual necessity even if, for some, work is not an economic necessity."

That being said, there are other areas in life, that require work besides a job. Amazingly enough, these areas can also develop all the good things aforementioned, and then some. Family relationships, talents and hobbies, service, spiritual growth, physical strengthening - all of these things require work to maintain.

Herein lies a very real problem - lack of balance. If so much time is being devoted to certain areas of our lives (and I recognize that such is required of us at many times in our various school and work responsibilites), it leaves little time for work within many other important areas. Quoting from Elder Maxwell again, "A balance of work needs to be orchestrated, because some forms of work tend to dominate other forms."

This is a theme I'd like to carry with me throughout the year. There are areas in my life I feel need to be developed greater and there are also things I have put to the back burner, convincing myself I'll get to it when I have less work and more time. In reality, that may never happen (unless of course you elect me as your President - FLORY '08), so the time to get to work is now.

5 comments:

The Cartwright Family! said...

I'll vote for you!!! You need a vacation come visit us!!
Ava saw a random pink pen today. Maddie picked it up and Ava said "hey that's Aprils." it was cute!! WE miss you!

Anonymous said...

APRIL FOR PRESIDENT!! Yeah. That reminds me, when I was in high school, one kid running for student body president promised to have tote-trays installed on all the desks so that we could just tote our things from class to class like we did in elementary school instead of using lockers. Like that's going to happen.

I like your thoughts (and enjoyed our discussion on it earlier). I think that part of finding the right balance is not over-dedicating too much effort to any one part of life, which often results in burn out (e.g. fathers that put so much effort into their work during the day that they come home and are short-tempered w/ their kids and family). In such situations, working hard isn't the problem. It's working not-smart that's the problem. In other words (better words), it doesn't necessarily matter if you're working hard, if you're not working smart. It's an easy trap to fall into though.

Bethany said...

AMEN! Sigh ... I feel the same way - when will I have time to do it all! There are so many books I would like to read and so many places I would like to volunteer at ... I feel so one dimensional! Sheesh ... one day we will find the balance and still feel successful.

Audrey Michal said...

and you were planning on telling me about this when?

Cindy said...

What an inspiring message!
Your talents are many, have you thought about writing a book?