Monday, April 13, 2009

Two Weeks Without You

I've been on a blogging hiatus. Actually, I've been on a media hiatus. I have an extreme love/hate relationship with the "instantaneous information at our fingertips" age. I've recently become aware of the many ways in which the media sucks up my time and I have also felt that I am incredibly desensitized to the messages of the media in a way where I have a hard time distinguishing the effects.


This I did not like. And so I took a break, or tried to anyway. It was a lot harder than I expected but I have learned some valuable lessons about myself and the positive uses of the media in my life. I hope knowing the positive will help me eliminate the negative.

My rules for my "media fast" was to consume no media that wasn't spiritual in content. No movies, no TV, no radio, no magazines, no books, no blogs, no facebook, no nothing....oh wait, except email. I was allowed to use email because it would basically be impossible for me to get the things done that I need to do without it.

Here are some lessons that I learned
#1 Unnecessary media forms and choices breed laziness and a lack of productivity.
#2 Media choices that add useful knowledge (not just spiritual) create within me a productive mindset.
#3 I cannot run without pumping music. Thus, the ban on music was lifted much sooner than other forms of media.
#4 My focusing problem is so much better when I have a productive mindset.
#5 Wholesome yet useless media choices, when shared in a social setting, serve a good purpose for me.
# 6 I don't spend nearly enough time each day contemplating and learning spiritual truths.

I want to hone in on how to best use the media in my life and how to eliminate the unnecessary things. As of now, blogging remains on the best uses list, or maybe just the good uses list...

Either way, I think I'll continue writing.

1 comments:

The Cartwright Family! said...

A very thought provoking post! Love you!