Wednesday, September 10, 2008

You Can Do It (Put Your Back into It)

I was incredibly glued to the Olympics this year, especially the women's gymnastics. Like most, it has been one of my favorite events. One night, after hours of sitting in front of the TV watching gymnastics, we got inspired that we could actually do some of those moves. So out to the hallway we went to fulfill our secret gymnastic desires. My floor routine consisted of a simple cartwheel, followed by the more advanced round-off. We were having a great time, until Sutton's jeans ripped. Oops! Perhaps we should have changed into our red, white and blue velvet body suits before we started.

This got me to thinking - at 25 it is still relatively easy to do a cartwheel, though it had been years since I had last attempted and I know my form was not as graceful as it was when I was 8. And then I thought, how sad if one day I wake up and I can no longer do a cartwheel. What is it that causes our bodies to not be able to do things we once could? Part of it is our bodies grow old and they deteriorate and aren't as strong as they once were. But, if we keep working our muscles and stay active, we can slow down this process right?

So, I submit to you April's Cartwheel experiment. My hypothesis is this: If I do a cartwheel every day of my life, then I will always be able to do a cartwheel. I will be an 80 year cartwheeling woman. Obviously, this is a very longitudinal study and the actual results will not be conclusive for another 55 years. But, I'm going to test it out. If you want to join me, please do. If you want to share in your findings - is it getting easier, is your form improving, are you doing it every day, have you cartwheeled anywhere exotic - please do! Take pictures and share!

As for me, I will be cartwheeling through life from now on. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

8 comments:

Amanda Petersen said...

So, maybe on my “List of things to do before I die” I have listed: “Do a cartwheel in front of the Eiffel tower,” and by-George, that’s what I did when we went to Europe a few years ago! THAT being said, I never noticed how uncoordinated and awkward I look until I saw that photo—I really should dig out the picture and show you! It’s an entertaining tale of what NOT to look like when imitating a gymnist- plus, those photos have a tendency to just look like… well, let’s just say an awkward shot. Need I say more? If I weren’t in a pencil skirt right now at work, I might just do a cartwheel since you’ve inspired me!!

Cindy said...

go for it girl!!!
I have never been able to master the cartwheel thing, so I don't think I'll start now.
But you've inspird me to do something that I love and that is walking.
so i will try to do it everyday from now on.

Nikki said...

I will try it.! Another good move would be the yoga bridge which is pretty much just a bridge. you remember doing those. Now that will keep you young.

Melanie said...

What a great idea! I'm going to join in on this one. Unfortunately my years and years of gymnastics as a child weakened my wrists, which makes too many cartwheels and handstands in a row painful. But fortunately I did years and years of gymnastics as a child so I have mastered the one-handed cartwheel, which is a lot less painful for at least one of my wrists.

The Cartwright Family! said...

i'm in I'll let you know how the first one goes!

Heather Sanders said...

I'll be checking up on you. Every day. For the rest of your life. Cartwheels are important business.

The World of Abbie said...

HAHA!! Sounds fun. I always do cartwheels. But hey I am 10 uears old who hates sitting around. What do you expect!!??

Anonymous said...

I'm almost 51 years old and can still cartwheel. I teach high school and enjoy surprising--no stunning--my students with the fact that a grey-haired old lady can do this. I use it as a "motivational" tool. They do well on the state tests, and I'll do a cartwheel. It seems to be working. I will say that this year, for the first time actually, I was sore after doing cartwheels every period one day. So, it may be that as I get older, it will get more difficult.....