Monday, September 29, 2008

Runnin' runnin' and runnin' runnin'


This weekend was the annual Akron Marathon in the great city of Akron, OH. This was my second year to participate in the event. Last year I ran my very first half-marathon with my sister Nikki. This year, we both joined a relay team and ran the 12k anchor leg.

It was a fun day. It started out perfect with homemade whole wheat pumpkin pancakes by my wonderful mom. Then we met a very friendly fellow on the shuttle to our starting point. Then we stood in a 2 mile long line for the bathroom. The weather was very nice for a 7.6 mile run, with only a mild chill in the air. The worst part of the race was waiting for my team member to come through so I could start. There was no way to tell when she would come so my nerves were getting the best of me. Plus my muscles were getting cold which added to my anxiousness. They were calling out numbers over the speaker, but the numbers were coming so fast, it was hard to tell if my number was one of them. Thankfully, I noticed her right away.

The first mile was rough, I think because I was so nervous and my legs felt shaky. The beginning of a long race is mentally tough for me, to remind myself not to think of how many miles I have to go and to just enjoy the run. I stuck by my motto: "slow and steady finishes the race." I was able to run the whole thing and didn't even stop during the water stations...just hurriedly tilted the cup towards my mouth hoping to get a good enough drink. I love that all of the neighbors sit outside to cheer on the runners. The course was a little different than the 1/2 marathon course and I actually liked it a lot better. We got to run through the grounds of Stan Hywett Hall. There's also a great downhill stretch with about 2 miles left where you run into downtown Akron past many of the shops and restaurants. It was then that I understood what "runner's high" meant. But, to assure my humility, the last mile kicked my bum. Still, nothing beats running into a stadium full of people shouting your name. Okay, so maybe it was only my family screaming my name, but it still felt good and I'm really glad they came to support me. In an effort to keep up with my "cartwheel experiment," I told my family I would try to cartwheel down the homestretch, but when the time came I could not follow through due to shaky ankles and a desire to not fall flat on my face. Maybe next time...

Other highlights include: Getting my Michelob Ultra with my beer ticket after the race. I ran just as hard as everyone so I though I should cash in on the goods. I wasn't actually going to drink it, maybe just marinate some brats in it or something...but my mom threw it away. Our matching orange shirts - combined with my black shorts and bright green shoes, I looked like I was dressed for Halloween. The neighborhood folks passing out cut up apples to the runners...gotta love those friendly neighbors. Having my ipod for the whole race, even though technically you are not supposed to use them. But technically, it helps me! More pumpkin pancakes after the race. Having my whole family (minus a few key members) with me after the race.

It was a good run. A good run indeed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats April! That's so great. I really love running races just because of the sense of community that comes from the crowd cheering and from runners encouraging each other. AND it always feels great to have a good run. Body, mind, spirit... blah, blah, blah. You know what I'm talking about.

Nikki said...

you are very tan especially when you are next to me. I need to send you your video so you can put it on your blog!!
I do need to post about it on my blog.
love ya.

Sarah Jayne said...

Good for you, April! I'm jealous! I'm counting the weeks until I get to run again...lets see...about 14 more to go!! 8 'til baby and then 6 to recover. I'm sure I'll be run-walking to start. Lets do a race together next year!

The World of Abbie said...

April, that was a really fun day!!! You should have done your cartwheel. It would have been really cool. But it was really fun watching you come through the finish line!!