Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sweet Dreams Little Man

This past weekend I had the chance to be with my sister Amy while she delivered her new baby boy, Jack. I've been joking that I would be at the delivery for this baby (and her last one too) in an effort to prepare me for the unknowns of motherhood, but wasn't sure I was actually going to make it. A week before my scheduled vacation she called and told me I should start driving because she was dialated to a 4. I prayed the baby would hold out...and he did. He didn't arrive until the following Saturday, extending my Ohio trip 2 days. But, it was worth it.

I wasn't sure what to expect and thought I would be quite grossed out, but actually I was fascinated by the whole process and truly witnessed a miracle. I am glad I got to see everything and I'm glad that Amy and Art let me share in their moment as they became parents for the 4th time. Amy had a midwife, Sue, who will deliver my children because she was amazing. The whole day was great...minus watching my sister in intense, uncontrollable pain.

After Jack was born, my 3 nieces came in to meet their new brother. When 3 year old Ava looked up at Amy and in her sweetest voice asked, "Mommy, are you going to bring home our baby brudder?" I knew for certain that the all the pain I had just witnessed was worth it.

I made a video documenting the event. It's my first one so please forgive any rough transitions. But, I like how it turned out. I only wish I could have done this for all of my nieces and nephews.

8 comments:

The Cartwright Family! said...

as usual you are fantastic!!! make sure you make me a CD! Love you!

Cindy said...

well, lets just say that's one for the record books. In the teary-eyed factor that is.
what an amazing video.
I hope you find a way to pass it on to Sue.

katy said...

April that was beautiful. You did a great job and it was such a nice thing you did for Amy and her family. Congratulations on your new nephew.
Katy

katy said...

April that really is me Katy Jorgensen not Mindy's Scrapbook, I had my nickname set up to send out messages for an e-mail group and I forgot to change it back.
Katy

Jean Allen said...

Absolutely beautiful, April! Brought me to tears! Thanks for sharing such a poignant memory.

Trister said...

It was so nice to meet you! You are so lucky to have been there and so lucky to be related to the fabulous Amy Cartwright!!!You're video made me cry too! I'd invite you to my birth, too, but...well, my bottom is a bit shy!:P But I'll tell Sue you said Hi!
Tristana

Sarah Jayne said...

What a cute video, April! Man, how I miss you! Maybe someday you'll move back west again...please!! What a lucky sister you have to have you prepping her feet for the stirrups...LOL!

Love you!

Tara said...

I loved that video...you're amazing...not to mention you're sister for having a beautiful baby boy!