Monday, August 16, 2010

S and I woke up Friday morning, laughing. The situation was altogether humorous on such little sleep. I peeked out the blinds, and made up some ditty about how good it was to wake up in America. Then we laughed some more.

If you do have to be stuck somewhere, may I recommend Connecticut. It is gorgeous. C's house is situated on a small lake with foot bridges and tall trees. It was lovely. C made us french toast and we ate on the back deck with her family.


The rest of the morning was spent on the phone, where I was able to convince American Airlines to reissue our ticket at no additional cost. The excitement was back as if we had just got a ticket for the first time.

"We're going to Peru!"

We also got in contact with our friends who had safely arrived in Peru via email and g-chat. I do love technology. They had not yet met with our trek company, but were hopefully going to be able to arrange it so that we did not miss it.

After a quick nap and some lunch, C's parents drove us to JFK. It took us 2 hours in traffic, but don't worry, we still arrived 7 hours early. We were taking no chances. Check-in lasted all of ten minutes. Which left us with 6 hours and 50 minutes to do whatever we pleased. Our activities included: shopping for Toblerone, eating Toblerone, lots of good girl talk, and dancing. Wait? Are we at a slumber party or the airport?

I think we were there so long we kind of forgot.

Finally, the time came to board our flight. 11:45 pm. We popped some sleeping pills in hopes of a decent night's sleep. I scored a seat next to a beautiful man who only spoke Spanish. Why did I take French in high school??? I also scored a window seat, so I propped my new thermarest pillow (best $20 bucks I've ever spent) against it, snuggled in my blanket and woke up just in time to land in Lima, Peru.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I love how you "popped some sleeping pills"

Micah E. said...

This prelude makes me so excited for what's to come.