Thursday, February 21, 2008

From now on it's just me and my sweet potato pie

If you would have asked me a few days ago how I felt about sweet potatoes, I would have looked at you and probably made a gagging face. Yes, sometimes I do still act like a teenager.

But ask me today how I feel about sweet potatoes.

Go on, ask me.

C'mon I double dog dare you.

Well, since you asked, I'll tell you how I feel about sweet potatoes. I love them with all my tastebuds!!! They are so delcious. Trust me, I'm as shocked about this as you. One might wonder how I never knew this until now.

The truth is, growing up we usually only ate them on holidays. It's true, my sweet tooth is never usually picky about the source of the sugar, but "candied yams" is where I draw the line. Every year they'd be there, as consistent as the Italian sausage. And every few years I'd take a small sample on my plate, just to be sure I wasn't missing something incredible - and nope, I wasn't.

But last night, I tried something different. I found a new salmon recipe, and although it contained sweet potatoes, I decided to try it anyway. And different it was - no brown sugar, no marshmallows - just a little olive oil, salt and rosemary. Divine!!!

And here's another reason to be excited about sweet potatoes. According to http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.com/ (practically my favorite website), sweet potatoes are "some of the most nutritious vegetables around." And while that statement may seem superlative, check out the chart below to see for yourself. (Chart also courtesy of http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.com/)




My delicious meal!



5 comments:

Melanie said...

Hey April, Micah posted a link to you on his blog, and, being the nosy person that I am, I hopped on over here to see what's been going on in your life. You're a fabulous writer!

How brave of you to try out a recipe for something you don't like; I'm glad you've found a new love.

The Cartwright Family! said...

Yum Yums!!! it was good to see you this weekend!!

Rebecca Banner said...

I need to know exactly what you did to the yams. I like them. We have yams and apples at thanksgiving. It's a lion house recipe. I do like them. I'm with you tho, the one with marshmallows, yuck. So do you like sweet potatoes? ;)

Cindy said...

My daughter, the gourmet cook!!
when you all were growing up, I stuck to the basics, I guess we should have tried more things.
Good for you!!

Amanda Petersen said...

oh my GOSH april, you crack me up! you should write a book- you're amazing & so entertaining to read about:) i'm so happy you blog too!
when are we going to run into each other again? it's been too long.